Took Cat to the vet today. She has been off since I got her home. It would look a little better, then she'd be off again. She's not lame at the walk anymore, but the trot is painful to watch. Lame on both front.
So, off to the vet. This isn't fixing itself with time, and rest. My vet appointment was at 11:30. I was hauling in a student's horse, and was going to take Cami for her re-check on lepto so they could pull blood and see where she's at. Cat trumped Cami.
I went into the office to check in and let them know we were there. I told the vet assistant the change in plans. She said she didn't know if Dr. C had time for a full lameness exam. I said that was fine. I wanted him to check a bump on her back that hadn't been there previously, and that she was lame at the walk. Vet Asst..."Oh, he'll check her out."
So, my vet has me trot her away from him, turn at the trot and come back. As I started the turn I could see the bob out of the corner of my eye, and heard the unevenness of gait. It sounded bad. Much worse on pavement than in the pasture. (Great I'm thinking...it's bone or joint).
He has me bring her back, and picks up her leg and starts palpating tendons, ligaments etc.. Then he looks at the sole of her foot, pokes around on it. He walks off...saying nothing (typical Dr. C) and comes back with some hoof testers. She's tender to the pressure. I'm thinking "Hallelujah it's an abscess." (Kind of sad when you're ecstatic over a possibility of an abscess). He must have been thinking it was more. He probed around with a hoof knife, looking for soft spots etc. Nothing really.
Off he goes again, as he's walking away he looks back and says, "Well, bring her inside." (the 'ya moron' was silent lol). So he pulls a syringe of p....caine something. To block her hoof. We wait for the block to take effect, and then trot her out again. Little to no improvement. (Well SHIT!) Not an abscess. We go to the next level, block a little higher. Takes in most of the fetlock. She looked pretty good after this block. However she was still off on her right, and once the left was blocked she showed up lame traveling straight on the right, not just on a turn.
We head back in for Xrays. He does four on the left front.
Compression to the joint, some synovial fluid loss, some cartilidge damage. He figures the same thing is happening in the right front also. He did say it wasn't advanced, and that she should recover with time and meds. I told him her barrelracing days were done. He said he figured we could get her back to where she had been, but it wasn't a bad idea to pull her for good. She'll be a fine riding horse. No need to run for a living anymore. Hell, my girl is 17...good enough. I enjoy just hanging out and riding her. Why take the risk, she's a freaken pet that happened to have talent. I haven't decided whether to tell my friend that was running her, and dropped her off lame, what is going on. I'd probably have trouble being polite at this moment.
So, Cat got an IV injection of Legend. She'll go back for another in a week. Each shot is $100 plus the office call. We are considering combining it with Adequan (series of 4 to 8 at $50 a shot every four days) it's intramuscular. She'll be on a gram of bute a day for twelve days. She's confined to the 100 x 130' pen, which is where I put her to begin with. Some nutraceuticals...I think I'm going with the GLC 5000. My vet bill today was $382.